Video Close  
Church/Monastery :: Noravank  
Noravank Monastery

Main Page
Noravank is a remarkable architectural complex of the 13th-14th centuries, about 3 km to the east of Amagoo near Yeghegnadzor (Vayotss Dzor region). In the beginning of the 13th century, Noravank was the spiritual center of Syunik district and the Orbelee princes' residence. The architect Siranes and the remarkable miniature painter and sculptor Momeek worked here in the latter part of the eighth century.

The St Karapet church has a dome on its western side, and Prince Smbat's mausoleum on the north. The two-storied mausoleum-church is located to the southwest of the main group. St Karapet church was built by Prince Leepareet Orbelyan (1216-1223). In 1340, an earthquake destroyed the dome. In 1361, the dome was reconstructed by the initiative of the architect Seer  
  Noravank Monastery
aness. Later, in 1931, during another earthquake, the dome was damaged. The fortress walls surrounding the complex were built in the 17th-18th centuries. In 1948 and 1949, the roof and the walls of the two-storied church were repaired.

Location Map

Noravank Monastery