Video Close  
  Svenska
 
  Monuments
  Church & Monastery
  Citadel
  Fortress
  Bridge
  Pagan Temple
  Other
 
   Church & Monastery
  Ambert
  Arshakid Mausoleum
  Aruchavank
  Etchmiadzin
  Gandzasar
  Garni
  Gayane
  Geghard
  Goshavank
  Haghartzin
  Haghpat
  Haritchavank
  Holy Virgin, Areni
  Hovhannavank
  Hripsime
  Kosh
  Noravank
  Saghmosavank
  Sanahin
  Sevanavank
  St John, Mastara
  Talin Cathedral
  Talin Kamsarakan
  Thaddeus
  Zvartnots
Church & Monastery :: Geghard
 
Geghard Monastery Architectural Complex

 
Main Page
 
The architectural complex of Geghard (Ayrivank). Geghard is one of Armenia's most significant medieval architectural ensembles and lies some 5 km northeast of Garni. According to legend, it was founded in the 4th century. The most ancient cave-church of St Gregory (7th century) is outside the monastery walls. The principal structure, the church of the Virgin, is a cruciform building from the second quarter of the 13th century. It has a four-column gavit (1225) to the west of the church. Two cave-churches were constructed in 1263, along with the family sepulchre of the Proshian Princes. Their coat of arms is carved in the rock: two chained lions and an eagle with half-spread wings, whose claws grasp a calf.     Geghard Monastery Architectural Complex
The architect Galdzagh built both structures. Carved in the rock, somewhat above the sepulchre, is the four-column burial place of Prince Papak and his wife Hroozakan (1288). It clearly recalls other 12th-13th century four-column gavits. A number of artificial caves and many khatchkars are also visible.

Geghard Monastery is listed in the UNESCO World Heritage List (2000).

Location Map

Geghard Monastery Architectural Complex
 
Ads






Genocide.am